Melvin Smith wrote:

> >Methinks (that's me, not you) that if me thinks (that's you, not me)
> >that my argument is an argument *for* it being pretty odd *not* to
> >inherit them, that there is an assumption by me or me (that's one or the
> >other of us) that is clearly wrong about the way inheritance of methods
> >(should) work.
>
> Eek.
>
> >In my mind, the idea of inheriting a method is that the subclass and the
> >superclass have a common subroutine that is invoked whether the message
> >is sent to the subclass or to the superclass.  In Perl6 terms, that
>
> I'm not comfortable with this sort of concept. Typically "inheritance" is
> going to either take the base implementation or _replace_ the implementation.
> The replacement can decide to {call|ignore} the base method.

I think you just said the same thing I did.  To be more explicit, using
the terminology you seem to want to use, I'll point out that I was only
talking about the case of an inherited method, not a _replacement_
method.  In other words, when you inherit a method, you are taking the
base implementation for that method.  But if you replace a method, you
are not inheriting that method, but rather replacing it; yes, the
replacement method may choose to call the base implementation's method
as part of the replacement implementation.  When you replace a method,
you have 2 subroutines, the base implementation, and the replacement
implementation, but when you inherit a method, you have only 1
subroutine, which may be called 2 different ways.

> If you have hidden side effects that makes things scary, (and potentially
> costly in the long run) I think.

I wasn't positing hidden side effects.  I was trying to not inherit
fragments of the base implementation, as me seemed to be trying to do.

> If you wouldn't want the base implementation to be ignore there is usually
> some mechanism in C++ and Java for this, how it applies to Perl6 I'm not
> sure.

I'm not sure either.  In fact, I'm not sure what you mean by this
sentence at all. If it matters, please rephrase it, so we can talk more
about it.

--
Glenn
=====