--- Michael Lazzaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, to bring this thread back on track *again*, I hopefully offer this
> summary.
>

> 1) Damian's idea of using ~> and <~ as L2R and R2L is well-liked.  Thus:
>
>        @out = grep { ... } map { ... } @in;         # (1) (perl5)
>
>      becomes any of the following:
>
>        @out  = grep { ... } <~ map { ... } <~ @in;  # (2) (perl6)
>
>        @out <~ grep { ... } <~ map { ... } <~ @in;  # (3)
>
>        @in ~> map { ... } ~> grep { ... } ~> @out;  # (4)
>
> My impression was that this was _instead_ of (1), eliminating the
> specialized syntax of the map, grep, etc. functions in favor of this
> more generic piping syntax, but that wasn't explicitly stated.  Is that
> correct?

I have to wonder how many people actually like this syntax, and how many only
say they do because it's Damian Conway who proposed it. And map/grep aren't
"specialized syntax", you could do the same thing with a sub with a prototype
of (&block, *@list).

> 2) You might be able to combine L2R and R2L piping in one statement.
> Maybe.

Oh goody. I was worrying they might not be confusing enough.

> 3) How pretty you think the above is depends almost entirely on how the
> tilde is rendered in your font.

I have a font where ~ is in the center, and I still hate it.