The advantage of Lua (at least for my project, which is a game) is that it
is quite easy to embed, and quite easy to customize.  The C API is small and
easily understandable (at the expense of being a little bit of a pain to
use), and the internals are simple and quite malleable.  The language itself
is pretty ugly IMHO.

So... I can't think of a good purpose of Lua/Parrot myself.  I'm not trying
to discourage you by any means!  If I were to embed a Parrot interpreter for
our next game (!) I'd happily leave Lua behind.