At 12:09 PM +0100 2/20/03, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Starting from the unbearable fact, that optimized compiled C is still faster then parrot -j (in primes.pasm), I did this experiment:
- do register allocation for JIT in imcc
- use the first N registers as MAPped processor registers

This sounds pretty interesting, and I bet it could make things faster. The one thing to be careful of is that it's easy to get yourself into a position where you spend more time optimizing the code you're JITting than you win in the end.

You also have to be very careful that you don't reorder things, since there's not enough info in the bytecode stream to know what can and can't be moved. (Which is something we need to deal with in IMCC as well)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk