Perl 6 Summary for the week ending 20030713
    Welcome once again to the Perl 6 Summary, in a week of major
    developments and tantalizing hints.

    Starting, as usual, with what's happening in perl6-internals

  Targeting Parrot from GCC
    Discussion in the thread entitled 'WxWindows Support / Interfacing
    Libraries' centred on writing a Parrot backend to GCC. (No, I have no
    idea what that has to do with the thread subject.) Tupshin Harper, Leo
    Tötsch and Benjamin Goldberg discussed possibilities and potential
    pit/pratfalls. At one point, Tupshin suggested emulating a 'more
    traditional stack-oriented processor' and I don't think he was joking...

    http://xrl.us/l6b

  Timely destruction and "TRACE_SYSTEM_AREAS"
    Jürgen Bömmels' rewrite of Parrot IO is causing some problems with the
    garbage collection (IO handles are the canonical examples of resources
    that need timely destruction).

    Leo tracked down the source of resource leak to a problem with handles
    being found on the C stack. Jürgen wasn't happy about this (he's not
    keen on the stack walking approach to garbage collection). He proposed
    that we get rid of the stack walk in favour of some other solution to
    the infant mortality problem and offered a few candidates. Leo said that
    he didn't like walking the C stack, going so far as to state that
    "Timely destruction and solving infant mortality don't play together or
    are mutually exclusive - in the current approach." Dan hasn't commented
    on this yet.

    http://xrl.us/l6c

  Parrot is not feature frozen
    There was a certain amount of confusion as some old email with the
    subject 'Parrot is feature-frozen until Wednesday' made its way into a
    small number of inboxes sowing confusion as it went. Suffice to say,
    Parrot is not currently feature frozen, though Steve Fink did say that
    he was considering a point release once the imcc/parrot integration was
    complete. If Dan gets objects and exceptions finished, then it might
    even warrant a 0.1.0 version number rather than 0.0.11

    http://xrl.us/l6d

  Perl* Abstraction
    Luke Palmer has "finally" started to implement his Infinity PMC and has
    noticed a lot of redundant code in the Perl* classes. He also noticed
    that Parrot doesn't seem to have the distinction between container and
    value that has been confusing people on the language list.

    http://xrl.us/l6e

  Fun with ParrotIO
    First, Jürgen Bömmels sent in a patch to excise integer file descriptors
    from Parrot except when they are managed via ParrotIO PMCs. Leo applied
    this.

    Clinton Pierce thought that this patch meant that a Win32 bug could be
    closed in the Parrot bug database. This sparked a discussion with Leo,
    and Jürgen, but I'm not entirely sure of the status of the bug...

    http://xrl.us/l6f

    http://xrl.us/l6g

  Jako groks basic PMCs
    Gregor N Purdy seems to have started working on Jako again, and checked
    in some changes allowing Jako to manipulate PMCs. People agreed that
    this was cool.

    http://xrl.us/l6h

  I want a Ponie!
    The [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list was announced and I'll be
    summarizing it as of next week when I've joined, caught up, and
    generally recovered from America.

    What's Ponie? Ponie is 'Perl On New Internal Architecture' or, as Thomas
    Klausner put it, "A version of Perl 5 that will run on Parrot", which
    was announced by Larry at his OSCON 'State of the Onion' address.

    Discussion of Ponie on the perl6-internals list centred on the "What is
    ponie?" question, with a certain amount of "Why ponie-dev, not
    perl6-ponie?" thrown in for good measure.

    Brian Ingerson announced that he'd set up a Ponie Wiki, Leon Brocard
    pointed at the use.perl story announcing Ponie, and your summarizer
    punted on writing a description of the project himself.

    http://xrl.us/l6i

    http://www.poniecode.org/ -- More on Ponie

    http://ponie.kwiki.org/ -- Ingy's Ponie Wiki

    http://xrl.us/lib -- use.perl announcement

  Exceptions!
    Leo Tötsch checked in the beginnings of an exceptions system. Then he
    checked in the beginnings of an events system.

    http://xrl.us/l6j

    http://xrl.us/l6k

Meanwhile, in perl6-language
    There were all of 6 messages, all of them discussing the effects of
    aliasing an array slice.

    http://xrl.us/l6l

  Perl 6 Rules at OSCON
    No, wait, that should be Perl6::Rules.

    For his last talk at OSCON, Damian spoke about Perl6::Rules, his
    implementation of Perl 6's rules system in pure Perl 5. And oh boy was
    it tantalizing. He showed us something actually running a large chunk of
    Perl 6 matching semantics, complete with handy debugging information,
    diagnostic dumping and all the other useful stuff.

    When we were all gagging for him to release it to CPAN immediately, he
    told us that it wasn't finished yet; that he'd implemented it all during
    the week of OSCON, in 700 lines of code; that he was going on holiday
    for a month once he got home; and that the module would be completed and
    released to CPAN as time/money allowed and would be out by Christmas.

    He didn't say which Christmas.

    Trust me, we want this. A lot.

Acknowledgements, Announcements and Apologies
    Hmm... this summary's later than last week's how did that happen?

    Thanks to Darren Stalder and Cindy Fry, our kind hosts in Seattle; to
    Shiro san for some fantastic sushi on Sunday night; to Jesse Broksmith
    and Melissa Cain for being our Seattle native guides; to Ward Cunningham
    for a lift in his Jeep and for just being Ward; and to Casey West for
    reasons I promised not to go into in the summary.

    For months now, I've been half joking about sending me jobs in the last
    little bit of this summary, but I really mean it now. If anyone's
    looking for an experienced OO Perl programmer and half experienced
    writer, I'm hunting work. Please get in touch at the address below.

    As ever, if you've appreciated this summary, please consider one or more
    of the following options:

    *   Send money to the Perl Foundation at
        http://donate.perl-foundation.org/ and help support the ongoing
        development of Perl.

    *   Get involved in the Perl 6 process. The mailing lists are open to
        all. http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ and http://www.parrotcode.org/
        are good starting points with links to the appropriate mailing
        lists.

    *   Send feedback, flames, money, photographic and writing commissions,
        or a cute little iSight to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Piers