On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:53:45AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > configure?
>
> there are currently 4 dists on CPAN that only include a configure script
> (makepp-1.19, glist-0.9.17a10, swig1.1p5, shufflestat-0.0.3)

configure's an alien idiom on CPAN.  If its found, I think it should be
evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

For example, looking at the above, makepp looks like its trying to emulate
autoconf (sensible, I guess, since he's shipping a make replacement) and its
doing it the right way.  configure is a wrapper around a perl script that
spits out a Makefile.  Unfortunately, he shipped the generated Makefile.
Still, it would have been better if configure was a wrapper around a
Build.PL or Makefile.PL.  Its been uploaded in the last few months.

glist, OTOH, is shipping a configure written in shell.  Sorta silly.  He also
shipped generated configure files that shouldn't be shipped (like
config.cache).  Since the dist is pure Perl, the guy is probably just
comfortable with the configure/shell layout.  It was touched last year.

swig is a C program using autoconf, so that seems legit.  It hasn't been
touched since 1998.  There's newer versions of Swig out there.  It should
probably be taken down.

shufflestat is using what looks like a shell autoconf for a pure Perl
program.  Again, sorta silly.  Its also shipping CVS directories and
directories that would have been empty were it not for the empty CVS
directory in it. :)

This all suggests another check: stray files.  Emacs backup files.  CVS
directories.  Empty directories.  #...# backup files.  Makefiles shipped
with Makefile.PL, Build and _build shipped with Build.PL, blib/...

> > test.pl is not a good thing.  It doesn't get parsed by "make test".  It just
> > runs and spits the output to the screen.  If a test fails, "make test" will
> > still succeed.  Still, its better than nothing at all.
>
> So t/* should hint more kwalitee than only test.pl

Yes.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Death follows me like a wee followey thing.