Richard> It pulls out the name, synopsis and author info from the main module,
Richard> mixes in the dependencies from META.yml, and then sprinkles on the
Richard> last few entries from Changes for good measure.

I'm not even sure that this is really a README.  A README should be
about things I need to know before "opening the package".  Remember, I
can look at README files from inside CPAN.pm and also as a separate
link on the CPAN mirrors.  There should be enough info there for me to
determine if this .tar.gz is worth unpacking.

Of course, if you have a well-written name/synopsis/author info,
I guess this is enough.  But now we've just shifted the problem.