Dan Sugalski wrote:

> Dunno if I replied, but... Next step is a higher level wrapper, if
> you're up for fiddling with Postgres itself. Stuff like a single call > to connect (right now you have to make the connect call and poll over
> and over again),

I did some benchmarks using your original library a few weeks ago and I
did find the polling business a bit odd.

I replied a while back asking asking if anyone had any pointers or
examples on where to start this no matter how simple but I think
"Warnock's Dilema #2" may have kicked in.

Being fairly new to parrot and probably naive I can see a few different
ways of doing this.

A C wrapper ie: parrot/classes/parrotdbi.pmc etc
A C wrapper ie: parrot/dynclasses/parrotdbi.pmc etc
A loadable pasm function library that uses the current libpq/(other
libs) and available available ops.

> getting back a full row as an array, getting back a full
> row as a hash, and stuff like that. Nothing fancy, and nothing that
> high-level, but enough to work the basics without quite as manual work
> as the current libpg requires.
>
> This'll probably be the basis for the DB driver interface for Parrot's
> DBI library, so this is your chance to make a mark. :)

Cheers for the opportunity.

Harry