Damian Conway wrote:
Robin Berjon wrote:
Picking the HTML entity names is better than the Unicode ones as the latter are way too long. They may not cover all the characters we need, but we can make up missing ones in a consistent fashion.

I fear there are too many "missing ones" for that. Any reason we couldn't accept both HTML and Unicode names?

I wasn't proposing to come up with short names for all the Unicode repertoire, just for the characters that are used as operators :) That shouldn't be too long, should it?

I have nothing against using the Unicode names for other entities for instance in POD. The reason I have some reserve on using those for entitised operators is that E<LEFT LOOKING TRIPLE WIGGLY LONG WUNDERBAR RIGHTWARDS, COMBINING> isn't very readable. Or rather, it's readable like a totally different plot with its own well-carved out characters, intrigues, and subplots in the middle of a book.

--
Robin Berjon