Austin Hastings writes:
> I think you guys may be talking at cross purposes. Robin, I think, is
> talking primarily about coding, while Damian talks of reading.
>
> Perhaps Damian's solution is a Unicode2Ascii perl script that emits formal
> names, combined with the implementation in Perl of the
> E<long-assed-ascii-name> alternative spellings.
>
> OTOH, Robin's concern for how to code when you're stuck with 7 bit ascii on
> the boot console of a Sun box remains valid, and *I* sure would rather have
> a short name available in a standard way.
>
> Perhaps this is where the "accept Unicode and HTML" philosopy comes in, sort
> of like the reverse of C< use English; >, to wit:
>
>   use asciiops;
>   @list.E<reach>method;   # Instead of E<GUILLEMOT, CLOSING QUOTE>

I think that using the POD entities + Unicode is fine, but the solution
to giving people who use E<LEFT LOOKING TRIPLE WIGGLY LONG WUNDERBAR
RIGHTWARDS, COMBINING> often, I belive, is to be able to define these
escapes simply.  Either the module writer or the user would map a more
usable escape to that character.

Luke