At 12:44 PM -0800 3/19/04, Larry Wall wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:57:28AM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
: What's the usage of Continuations from HLLs point of view? Can we get
: some hints, what is intended?

From the standpoint of Perl 6, I hope to hide continuations far, far
away in a galaxy long ago.  No wait, wrong movie...

Which is swell, but Perl 6 is only one of the languages we care about. Ruby does, and while it's not exactly one of the primary targets, scheme and lisp are heavily laced with them.

We can certainly make it the default that a routine is not going to
do anything fancy with continuations unless it is explicitly declared
to allow it.

Can't do that. There's no way you can ever really know that, since any function or method you call might take one. Forbidding it is going to be problematic as well, since then we hit performance issues in guaranteeing that.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk