"Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Amen.  Please don't steal unnecessary metacharacters in qq()
> strings--although I still think we should keep it, @ causes a lot of
> problems.

I seem to recall an issue, last week, of whether adverbs can be attached to
quoting operators. One solution to the question of interpolation is to make
it user-customizable, and then throw in some currying to keep life
interesting:

  my $email_address = qq([EMAIL PROTECTED]) : interpolates( :yes('$'), :no('@') );

There's probably a better syntax for defining what actually interpolates.

Anyway, whatever the syntax, it should then be possible to create my own
quoting operator with exactly the properties I want:

  my &email := &qq.assuming( : interpolates( :yes('$'), :no('@') ) );

and then

  my $email_address = email([EMAIL PROTECTED]);

This could also be implemented as a macro, but that shouldn't be necessary.
A good, spicy, adverbial curry should be sufficient.

Dave.