On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 08:00, Jens Rieks wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 September 2004 07:52, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> > > Would autoconf/automake be an option for the C part of parrot?
> > No, its only available on a few systems.
>
> Ok, this is probably a moot conversation because Metaconfig
> (http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-12/compile_03.html) was written by Larry
> Wall for rn, and the Perl community has some serious social inertia when
> it comes to switching to any other configuration tool.

Well initially, it was mostly technical (and licensing) issues that drove
the decision.  (See the section "=head2 Autoconf" in perl5's
Porting/pumpkin.pod for details.)  I'd agree there's plenty of social
inertia now as well.

> That said, autoconf is only available on a few systems. A few being
> defined as everything I've ever heard of.

Both autoconf and metaconfig assume a unix-like environment.  Ambitious
plans for parrot's configure include non-unix environments too, such as
VMS and all the ports where perl5 uses a manually-generated config.*
template.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]