Dan Sugalski wrote:

You've got things a bit turned around I think. Parrot's the engine. It provides the services, runs the code, handles the environment, and generally manages stuff. If you want, think of it as a combination CPU, OS, low-level debugging tools, and standard system libraries that compilers for all the languages use. Since you're likely going to want to package up bytecode, resources, library modules, and possibly multi-language source, it's Parrot's problem to make it work right, and set up a base so that everyone does it the same way.

So, bundling is a Parrot problem. Parrot's solution will dictate certain requirements / benefits to perl. Perl, on the other hand, is largely agnostic to all this. Makes sense.

Sorry for the confusion. My understanding the exact nature of the symbiosis between the future perl 6 implementation and parrot is still weak â learning what there is to know about the current state of bundling should correct that. (I was thinking of parrot simply "running the code" and perl dealing with all the other stuff. Now that I think about it I realize that that doesn't even make all that much sense (writing device drivers messes with your head).)

Gregory Keeney