Juerd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Most worlds don't use file extensions, except for humans.

You exaggerate their lack of importance.  File extensions don't matter
to most operating system *kernels*, but they are nevertheless
important for more than just Windows:

 * They are of critical importance on Apache-based webservers.

 * They instruct command-line tab completion for some shells.  This
   IMO is a biggie, and would be even bigger if more shells were
   smarter.  (eshell has a leg up here.)

 * They matter somewhat to many *nix applications, such as Emacs and
   Gimp.  When I say "matter somewhat", I mean that the app
   understands what the extension means, and so in the absense of the
   extension you have to give the app additional information to
   compensate.

 * They matter to most GUI file managers in the *nix world.  I
   personally don't use GUI file managers, but some people do.

 * They matter somewhat in the VMS world, though not as much as under
   Windows I think.

 * They matter in the OS/2 world, if anyone is still using that.  Also
   DOS, with the same caveat.

 * On Mac OS X the extension matters for files that don't have
   filetype/creator codes attached to them yet (unless the file is
   coming from a source that supplies content-type, such as from a web
   server or as an email attachment, in which case the content-type
   instructs the addition of filetype/creator codes).

The only OS I know of where file extensions are *totally* not used is
Archimedes.  It doesn't allow them at all, from what I understand.

split//,"[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ --";$\=$ ;-> ();print$/