Juerd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jonadab the Unsightly One skribis 2004-09-17 10:46 (-0400):
>>  * They are of critical importance on Apache-based webservers.
>
> They are not. See mod_mime_magic.

Magic, as far as I know, only works for filetypes that have known byte
sequences.

>>  * They instruct command-line tab completion for some shells.
>
> And this is not something to write home about.

I consider it enough of a killer feature that I won't use a shell that
doesn't have at least halfway decent support for it.  My biggest gripe
with bash is that it doesn't do a good enough job of this.

>> Archimedes.  It doesn't allow them at all, from what I understand.
>
> It probably doesn't disallow file extensions [per se], but the dot

Could be.  I haven't used it personally.

> It's all about heuristics, and I'd hate to have perl behave differently
> when the filename is different.

Oh, I'd hate to have Perl behave differently when the filename passed
to it as an argument is different, but I don't see how that is
necessary for what the OP was talking about:

   As a special case, if the "filename" argument to perl is a directory,
   and the directory contains a file named "main.pl", then the directory
   is prepended to @*INC, and main.pl is run.

Here the real operative issue is that the argument is a *directory*,
rather than a regular file.  Currently AFAIK Perl doesn't do anything
very useful when the argument is a directory.  As far as 'main.pl',
that's a special case of a magic filename in a specific circumstance,
much like MIRRORED.BY with CPAN.pm -- it's a file Perl goes looking
for under special conditions (namely, in Mastros' proposal, when the
argument to Perl is a directory).

> Perl shouldn't have to care about the given file name at all. perl <
> $file and perl $file should work the same.

I don't disagree with that, but I don't think it implies that Perl
can't know anything about extensions or make any use of them ever.

split//,"[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ --";$\=$ ;-> ();print$/