Robert Schwebel wrote:

It seems to be a little bit strange to me that the ability to be
compiled on prehistoric systems seems to be more important than a
correct cross compiler environment.

On which platforms shall perl run _today_ which is not able to run sh?

For a particular project I am considering using Parrot on a custom system based on Texas Instuments DSP processor - this class of systems is described as weird rather than prehistoric.
I hope that Parrot might be the option for me in this project - and with my minimal (understand "zero") cross-compiling experience, I still feel that going without sh and the like would be easier for me and the idea of just providing c89 functionality (and possibly a couple of more functions) is very attractive.

Adam Herout