> I /think/ he means what the tab key's effect is when typed in
> his editor of choice

Correct.  Hitting TAB should indent to the correct level for the current
context.  I don't especially care whether the editor does by inserting
actual TAB characters or a bunch of spaces.

I've normally got enough going on in my head when writing code, worrying
about the house style should not be one of them.

PS: This is probably my pet peeve about writing FreeBSD code.  There's no
Emacs style(9) mode (although you can come close), and last time I checked,
some of style(9) really can't be implemented automatically.  To my mind,
that's a bug in the house style...