On Tue 14 Dec 2004 16:04, "Clayton, Nik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I /think/ he means what the tab key's effect is when typed in
> > his editor of choice
>
> Correct.  Hitting TAB should indent to the correct level for the current
> context.  I don't especially care whether the editor does by inserting
> actual TAB characters or a bunch of spaces.
>
> I've normally got enough going on in my head when writing code, worrying
> about the house style should not be one of them.

Wrong. It should be. You write, and someone else - or yourself - has to
maintain the code later. This means that you have to write with style and
maintainability in focus. All the time.

> PS: This is probably my pet peeve about writing FreeBSD code.  There's no
> Emacs style(9) mode (although you can come close), and last time I checked,
> some of style(9) really can't be implemented automatically.  To my mind,
> that's a bug in the house style...

I hate emacs because it cannot support my indent style (and also because it is
a system resource hog). I've had several people trying to set emacs'
preferences to what we use here, but emacs just does not want to do it. It's
completely focused on the (IMHO wrong) style used with the GNU software
projects, which is one of the reasons I've always turned down requests to help
maintain any of their projects.

FWIW the style I use was decided upon back in the 80's when we (me and 6
     others) had to do a huge software project at school and we did discuss
     style before we started. The biggest argue was about the length of the
     variable names to use.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.5, & 5.9.x, and 809 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,