On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 08:30:06PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> > At 07:49 AM 12/6/00 -0800, Daniel Chetlin wrote:
> > >Simply deciding that `eval STRING' is "unimplemented" on these
> > >theoretical ports and binary compiles is the best idea I've heard yet,
> > >but we should remember that `require' is built on `eval STRING'.
>
> I see no reason to ghettoize powerful non-C-based systems just because we

Powerful?  Java?  Excuse me, I have must have picked the wrong reality.

> write the canonical perl6 implementation in Perl.

I'll repent when and if the time comes but now, in the real world,
platforms that have C vastly outnumber the platforms that are Java
only.  As far as I know the number of Java-only platforms is significant
only in the Sun marketing material.

> Soon, there will likely be JVM systems that can run eval($string) quickly
> enough, but not if it is written in C (as there is no C->JVM compiler).

I have seen a real Java implementation by Sun.  It was written in C.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen