> RE Feature     Override       Create New
> switches       'i' only       yes
> anchors        no             no

(I would call them assertions.)  Bzzt.

> - Anchors.  ^,$,\A,\Z,\z,\b, \G.  Since the definition of a line (see 'm'
> and 's' above) isn't changing, the line oriented assertions don't need

Are you certain about that?

> adjusting.  String anchors are straightforward, as is \G.  \b *could* be
> locale-defined independent of \w\W or \W\w, but I think it'd be better to
> stick with that definition, and allow the locale to override \w, instead.  I
> think adding new anchor positions may be more difficult that any gains
> gained.

Whoa.  Or at least allow for some new user-definable assertions.
In many Asian scripts concepts like \b definitely aren't as simple as
in Western scripts.  E.g. in Thai \b cannot be defined as ^ \w\W \W\w
$, it must be algorithmically defined.  (No, I'm not an expert in Thai,
don't ask me for details.)  In Chinese a \b would match practically
between every pairs of characters, right (since every character is a
\w, kinda...)?

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen