At 12:18 PM 10/11/2001 -0700, Robert Spier wrote:

>| I'm OK requiring a C compiler and a build tool for a platform. It's a C
>| compiler and perl 5 that I don't want to require. (Rather nasty
>| bootstrapping issues there... :)
>
>This makes things a lot harder.  Suddenly we're
>re-implementing make. (in C)

No, we don't have to do it in C. We can do it in perl, we just can't
require perl for the initial build. The steps would be:

1) Build minimal perl 6 with default parameters using platform build tool
2) Run configure with minimal perl 6
3) Build full perl 6 with perl build tool and minimal perl
4) Build full perl 6 distrib with full perl

Basically we ship a Makefile and bare-bones config.h, enough to build
miniparrot. Miniparrot then reconfigures itself and builds full parrot,
which then goes and builds the world.