On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Dave Mitchell wrote:

> I've only had one reply to this so far - anyone else want to
> approve or disapprove?

Uncluttering things, in general, is probably a pretty good thing.

> Anyway, here's how I suggest files should be moved around to make
> a more rational directory hierarchy. This will involve quite a bit
> of hacking of paths in makefiles, scripts etc; but if we're going
> to do it at all, then the sooner the better.

Note that such hacking is tricky to do portably, so tread carefully.

> # all per-platform files (README, hints, header.[ch],
> # are collected together in the single directory OS//

I'm not sure about this one.  While it might make sense for some cases,
(e.g. VMS, Win32, MacOS), it might not for others.  For example, some
operating systems (e.g. OpenBSD and FreeBSD) may need separate build
hints, but may otherwise be able to share most of the "generic" unix
platform-specific code.  I tend to think that organizing by features
rather than by marketing names attached to particular operating systems
might be a better way to go.  But that's just my opinion.

    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]