Andy Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Anyway, here's how I suggest files should be moved around to make
> > a more rational directory hierarchy. This will involve quite a bit
> > of hacking of paths in makefiles, scripts etc; but if we're going
> > to do it at all, then the sooner the better.
>
> Note that such hacking is tricky to do portably, so tread carefully.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. There again, looking in the top-level
Makefile.in, I see lines like:

$(TEST_PROG): test_main$(O) $(GEN_HEADERS) $(O_FILES) Parrot/OpLib/core.pm ...

ie we merrily use UNIX-style pathnames at the moment. Does this mean
I can do the same for the time being? (until such time as we replace
Makefiles with something Gloriously Perl-based  ??? :-)

> > # all per-platform files (README, hints, header.[ch],
> > # are collected together in the single directory OS//
>
> I'm not sure about this one.  While it might make sense for some cases,
> (e.g. VMS, Win32, MacOS), it might not for others.  For example, some
> operating systems (e.g. OpenBSD and FreeBSD) may need separate build
> hints, but may otherwise be able to share most of the "generic" unix
> platform-specific code.  I tend to think that organizing by features
> rather than by marketing names attached to particular operating systems
> might be a better way to go.  But that's just my opinion.

In that case, my more modest proposal would be to just move all the
README.$OS files to README.OS/$OS