[Moving this discussion to -meta.  See Reply-To.]

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 03:14:39PM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > I disagree.  The RFC process is for generating ideas, not making decisions,
> > nor is any author obliged to include ideas he/she doesn't agree with;
> > that's why others can (or could) submit RFCs that contradict it, if they
> > want to.  The author is no more obliged to include opposing opinions in
>
> Not obliged, no.  But not recording opposing views is like sticking
> fingers in your ears and loudly chanting 'la la la la, my proposal
> is good, pure and uncontested, la la la, la la la...'

RFC Improvement #1:  All updated RFCs must contain a CHANGES section.

RFC Improvement #2:  All updated RFCs must contain a synopsis of
                     relevant discussion, including opposing views.

RFC Improvement #3:  All final RFCs must contain a discussion of why
                     they are finalized.

RFC Improvement #4:  Each working group may define more stringent acceptance
                     criteria for RFCs.  -licensing doesn't care
                     about including test plans, and -qa doesn't care about
                     redistribution considerations.

RFC Improvement #5:  An working grouup chair can cause an RFC to be
                     withdrawn from condideration if it is off-topic
                     or simply rehashing old issues.  This is to keep
                     the brainstorm-to-proposal ratio close to zero when
                     rampant brainstorming is not desired.

Any others?  There are bugs in the RFC process.  Now is the time to
fix them.

A modified RFC process should be in place for Perl6, where it fits.

And it should not be a process that generates 150+submissions/month
of wildly varying quality.

Z.