At 06:40 PM 10/5/00 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 01:38:18PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > Perl 6 is going to be the community's rewrite. His design to start, but
> > the community's rewrite. (The alternative is to have the thing be *my*
> > rewrite, and I don't think we want that... :)
>
>With no preprocessor symbols defined the main source will compile
>perfectly on VMS, the vms/ subdirectory will go, replaced with unix/
>and there will be lots of ported bits wrapped with
>
>#ifdef (UNIX)
>#endif

Nah, nothing that obvious. The capabilities of VMS 7.2 will just be the
default... :)

>You might even get approval from some prominent non-VMS fans provided there's
>a linux/ directory that only contains instructions on how to install BSD

Or Solaris, HP/UX, and AIX directories with instructions on how to install
Linux. :-)

It's actually an interesting exercise. I'm familiar with both VMS and Unix,
and I'm trying hard to keep track of the unique good bits of both systems
so it all can be wedged into perl. I'd really like to incorporate the good
bits of VMS' async I/O and event handling into perl, for example.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk