On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 03:42:57PM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > Any others?  There are bugs in the RFC process.  Now is the time to
> > fix them.
>
> I don't know whether this is worth a separate improvement # but here goes:
>
> Too many RFCs live in a vacuum by not not explaining in enough detail
> what is the problem they are trying to solve,

RFC Improvement #6:  Every RFC must contain a brief background describing
                     the problem in enough detail for readers to understand
                     what this RFC proposes to solve.  Conciseness is
                     preferred.  Links to extended discussions are
                     appreciated.

> but instead go ahead and
> pull new/backward-incompatible syntax and/or keywords and/or semantics
> out of thin air.

I hope we're done the first phase of RFC submissions, that aspect
of RFC submissions should be behind us.

> Call me an old curmudgeon

Jarkko, you're an old curmudgeon.

> but some
> words towards backward compatibility, keeping proposed changes as
> small and generic as possible (I think that's one of things that
> epitomises perl: lots of cleverly interlocking small features or
> feature sets) would have been nice before the launch of the RFC process.

RFC Improvement #7:  Every RFC must contain a discussion of migration
                     and backwards compatibility, as appropriate.
                     This includes non-internals areas such as
                     licensing.  New areas of effort may be excluded[*].

Keeping RFCs current is another bug in the process.  Here's a possible fix:

RFC Improvement #8:  RFCs are patchable.  This is to encourage RFCs to
                     be kept up to date with a synopsis of discussion
                     about a proposal, especially when the maintainer
                     is too busy to keep updating an RFC.  Process TBD.

Z.

*: OK, so we're losing formats, but Damian shouldn't need to write a
   backwards compatibility dissertation for each and every new extension
   to formats he comes up with (even though he could).

   Ditto on 'use Notation::Polish::Reverse;'