Peter> Quite.  But on a tangent, I see no good reason why this shouldn't be
Peter> given the same interpretation as "my ($a, $b, $c)" on the grounds that
Peter> functions taking list arguments that omit their parentheses swallow up
Peter> the following list.

*some* functions.  localtime doesn't.  my is a unary function, prototyped
vaguely as (\$) or (\@) or (\%).