At 11:49 AM 2/15/01 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>Peter> Quite.  But on a tangent, I see no good reason why this shouldn't be
>Peter> given the same interpretation as "my ($a, $b, $c)" on the grounds that
>Peter> functions taking list arguments that omit their parentheses swallow up
>Peter> the following list.
>
>*some* functions.  localtime doesn't.

Er, that's why I said functions taking list arguments.  localtime takes a
scalar argument:

$ perl -le 'print prototype("CORE::localtime")'
;$

But if we consider my to be a function (something of a stretch since it has
compile-time actions), then it must take a list argument otherwise my ($a,
$b, $c) would be illegal.

More like ((\$)|(\@)|(\%))+, for want of a better notation...

--
Peter Scott