Given that Perl 5 internals post 5.004 caused the need for a rewrite
anyway, I'd imagine that this would be a particularly horrid idea. The
Perl 5 path is almost dead: adventurers and Win32 users are the vast
majority using it at all. Add Solaris 8 1/01 to the list of OS's that have
completely rejected 5.6, as I discovered last night, and I'd imagine that
there are more. Let Perl 5 die with the corporate interests. The rest of
the world, however, needs a migration path of some type, if indeed "perl
for the people by the people" is actually ever going to be a reality
rather than a marketing scheme.

Perl 6 represents more than technological playtime for language designers,
guys and gals. It also represents a long-needed social and political
reform, should any of that be accepted by Larry and left in peace by the
corporate interests now in firm control of Perl 5.