On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 05:15:51PM -0400, John Porter wrote:
> The analogous situation with p4->p5 wasn't so bad.
> People just kept their p4 binaries around for running
> those old scripts.  No biggie.

Uggg.  Do you remember how long it took FreeBSD to change
/usr/bin/perl from perl4 to perl5?  It took easily until around 1997
(at least three years) before they took that plunge.  And then, of
course, the inevitable lag in systems upgrading to the new versions...

Or course, perl5 was there as /usr/bin/perl5.  That still didn't stop
#perl from getting a handful of "I got this error, 'blah blah blah
next two tokens'" questions every day from someone on a BSD box that
tried to use /usr/bin/perl.  (We even rigged up purl with an answer to
"next two tokens?")

If we can avoid lag in users updating /usr/bin/perl to Perl 6, let's
try to do so not have another three years of having to repeat "What
does perl -v say?  Ahh, 5.x.x.  There's your problem.  Try perl6 -v."

Not critical, but it would be nice.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Kwalitee Is Job One