I normally just lurk, but...

> Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Why? We don't ask this of any other compiler, so why ask it of perl?
> > (You won't find this in a C, or Fortran, or Ada compiler...)
>
> Yes, but my compiled C binaries in /usr/bin don't break when I upgrade
> gcc.  A binary is largely independent of its compiler once it is
> compiled and installed, interpreted programs do not have this luxury.
>
> Think of it this way... what would happen if Borne Shell suddenly
> decided it was going to introduce fundemental incompatibilities?  (I'm
> sure they already have...)

This is why when you call bash as /bin/sh, it behaves like the original Bourne
shell.

Name tricks are ugly, but useful.  Perhaps the best solution would be to call
the new interpreter perl6.  If it finds itself being called 'perl' or 'perl5'
then it should assume perl 5 code unless there's something that triggers it to
assume otherwise (I.e. the module keyword)

Brian Wheeler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]