--- "Adam D. Lopresto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having trouble this is even being considered.  At all.  And
> especially for these operators.

Heute vektoren, morgen das welt!

Uniperl, Uniperl uber alles,
Uber alles in der welt!
With hyper-states through choose and true();
Masterfully golf scorin' script,
Von der << bis an die all(),
Von der any() bis an den >> -
Uniperl, Uniperl uber alles,
Uber alles in der welt!

> So you're one of the very few people who bothered to set up unicode,
> and now you want to force the rest of us into your own little
> "leet" group.

Nerp. Hadn't given it a second thought until the whining started about
"It's so hard..." I had actually figured that I'd be able to set a
keystroke in my editor and that would be the end of it. But then, for
no good reason that I can think of, I tried microsoft's help site and
found it in about thirty seconds. No need to set up a keyboard macro --
it's part of the OS.

I did BBS, though not as a "warez d00d". It's "L33t".

> Given the choice between learning how to reconfigure their keyboard,
> editor, terminal, fonts, and everything else, or just not learning
> perl6, I bet you'd have a LOT of people who get scared away.

That sounds a lot like what I said (and to a certain extent still fear)
back when -> was first going away.

It didn't work then, either.

> Face it, too many people think perl is linenoise heavy and random
> already.

Which is why adding a single character with a single meaning that can
be covered in chapter 14 instead of chapter 3 is a workable idea, and
why creating an operator called "Jesus, it looks like an ASCII-art
version of a dancing penguin in high heels" isn't. "Bow-tie operator",
indeed!

If @a [>*=<] @b; doesn't scan like rats chewing their way into your
cable, what does?

> Which brings me to my real question: why these operators?  It's not
> as if they're even particularly intuitive for this context.  They're
> quotes.  They don't mean "vector" anything, and never have.  I could
> almost see if the characters in question just screamed the function
> in question (sqrt, not equals, not, sum, almost anything like that),
> but these are just sort of random.

Simple answer: Larry suggested them. And was willing to sacrifice qw
functionality to this.

Also, I suppose, because of the map() suggestion a while back -- this
"operation" is going to wind up taking a huge range of parameters in
some not-too-distant future.

And @a = @b <<sub>> @c; will read a lot better, when <<sub>> is 8 lines
long.

> Given how crazy this is all getting, is it absolutely certain that
> we're better
> off not just making vector operations work without modifiers?  I
> reread the
> apocalypse just now, and I don't really see the problem.  The main
> argument
> against seems to be "perl5 people expect it to be scalar", but perl5
> people
> will have to get used to a lot.  I think the operators should just be
> list
> based, and if you want otherwise you can specify "scalar:op" or
> convert both
> sides to scalars manually (preferably with .length, so it's
> absolutely clear
> what's meant).

It's not absolutely certain. But this discussion was destined to
happen, since we're just about out of line noise, but we're nowhere
close to being out of clever ideas.

=Austin