On 04/11/02 14:09 -0800, Austin Hastings wrote:

> --- Rafael Garcia-Suarez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Austin Hastings wrote in perl.perl6.language :
> > >
> > > What we've got is an encoding problem at the MUA level. Mark Reed
> > says
> > > my mailer (Yahoo!) tagged a message containing high-bit characters
> > as
> > > US-ASCII. Several people the other day reported on the differences
> > in
> > > UTF8 vs. Latin-1 handling among pine, elm, and other mailers.
> >
> > Not only the MUA level. Usually source code is written in a lowest
> > common denominator of ascii, even for languages that allow unicode
> > identifiers (Java) or markup. That's because source code is handled
> > by
> > parsers, documentation extractors, pretty printers, diff(1),
> > patch(1),
> > version control software, and (you said it) various internet clients.
>
> > That's why some people may still prefer to continue using pure ascii
> > even though then think that unicode operators are cool. (Esp. if they
> > are under the influence of FUD : "use PHP ! it's ascii compliant !")
>
> Yeah, but ActiveState does Perl, and Microsoft owns ActiveState, so
> we've got the kings of FUD on our side for a change. Joy.

Speaking of FUD, that's simply not true, nor tasteful IMO.

AS has done a handful of short-term contacts for MS, and that's the
extent of their relationship.

FWIW, AS also does as much or more Unix development as Windows
development. They also employ some people who have individually
advanced Perl more than you'll ever know.