On 12/16/2014 01:38 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
Including all of the other names of people who made important
contributions, many of which consisted of reviewing, would make that
release note item - and many others - really, really long, so I'm not
in favor of that.  Crediting reviewers is important, but so is having
the release notes be readable.
Agreed.

It has been proposed that we do a general list of people at the bottom
of the release notes who helped review during that cycle.  That would
be less intrusive and possibly a good idea, but would we credit the
people who did a TON of reviewing?  Everyone who reviewed even one
patch?  Somewhere in between? Would committers be excluded because "we
just expect them to help" or included because credit is important to
established community members too?  To what extent would this be
duplicative of http://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/ ?
I don't particularly like this idea.

I do. I think it's an emminently sensible idea that gives credit without disturbing the readability of the release notes.

As for where we draw the line, I would rather me more than less inclusive. Anyone who gets a review credit in the git log should be mentioned. I don't care that much whether or not committers are mentioned.

I'm not necessarily averse to doing something here, but the reason why
nothing has happened has much more to do with the fact that it's hard
to figure out exactly what the best thing would be than any idea that
"we don't want to credit reviewers".  We do want to credit reviewers,
AND WE DO, as a quick look at 'git log' will speedily reveal.
Agreed.

I can't believe how much we are tying ourselves up in knots over this. It's not a good sign. Surely we trust the committers and the preparers of the release notes to use some judgement, once we agree on general guidelines.

cheers

andrew