On 17.12.2014 20:00, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Jaime Casanova (ja...@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

It has been proposed that we do a general list of people at the bottom
of the release notes who helped review during that cycle.  That would
be less intrusive and possibly a good idea, but would we credit the
people who did a TON of reviewing?  Everyone who reviewed even one
patch?  Somewhere in between? Would committers be excluded because "we
just expect them to help" or included because credit is important to
established community members too?  To what extent would this be
duplicative of http://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/ ?

Not much really, I tried to get my name on that list a couple of years
ago, when i reviewed more than i do now, and never got it.
And while my name is in a couple commit messages, that is a lot harder
to show to people...

Having your name in a list of other names at the bottom of the release
notes page, without any indication of what you helped with, would work
better?  Perhaps it would but I tend to doubt it.

Out of my personal experience in Germany: yes, it helps. It is not very logical, but many people need a "simple way" (Website against git log) to "see" something.

(I've rarely seen that something like that is considered not trustable even if there are strong indications that its faked.)

But i think it is a good point that the release notes should not become to big.

you know, it's kind of frustrating when some not-yet customers ask for
certificated engineers, and there isn't any official (as in "from
community") certificate so you need to prove you're a contributor so
let's see this random commit messages...

Another thought I had was to suggest we consider *everyone* to be a
contributor and implement a way to tie together the mailing list
archives with the commit history and perhaps the commitfest app and make
it searchable and indexed on some website.  eg:

contributors.postgresql.org/sfrost
   - Recent commits
   - Recent commit mentions
   - Recent emails to any list
   - Recent commitfest app activity
   - Recent wiki page updates

Ideally with a way for individuals to upload a photo, provide a company
link, etc, similar to what the existing Major Contributors have today.
Obviously, this is not a small task to develop and there is some risk of
abuse (which I expect the other folks on the infra team will point out
and likely tar and feather me for suggesting this at all..) but it might
be along the same lines as Bruce's PgLife..

That's an interesting idea. I'm not convinced that this is the best solution, but i would help, if community thinks this should be implemented.

Greetings,
Torsten