Tom Lane wrote:

Vinay Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Not actually even in Hindi Locale the output was incorrect..i.e. sort order was wrong
and also length and substring operations
which are not based on syllables.

Hm, possibly you weren't using the same character set encoding that the locale was expecting? It's not very well documented, but every locale setting works only with a specific encoding.

I kept server side encoding  to hi_IN.UTF-8...(Hindi Locale)
also tested changing my OS encoding to the same.....
so i think that I was using right character set encoding..

If the locale definition really is wrong for your purposes, it seems like what you want to do is write a new locale definition that does what you want. Then you could use it with any Unix program, not only Postgres. (I've never done this, but I can't see that it would be any harder than writing C code inside Postgres to do it ...)

Locale defination is not wrong for my purpose only ordering , length and substring operations are incorrect (in postgres these operations are based on either character or unicodes not on syllables)which i corrected using my own data type and operations

and this is not the case with Postgres only even in MS-SQL the problem is same...Research work is going on Ordering issues of Hindi and this project is part of it
I opted PostgreSQL because It gives flexibility to design own data type and operations in a nice way...
only problem is performance.........because I have to look up a table while doing comparision and want to keep this table in DataBase

regards, tom lane

regards

Vinay Jain

http://archives.postgresql.org