Tom Lane wrote:

Vinay Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Which takes a lot of time the reason is that in every indchar_lt function call SPI connection is made and destroyed...

I cannot imagine how you'd think that that would be practical from a performance standpoint.

Here is the problem which i found in postgresql...
after setting collating sequence in proper way(i.e. C) the order was on basis of unicode values...but in Hindi Language some of combined unicode values makes a single character
similarly length is not appropriate for these reasons & hence substring operations

Why don't you just use a Hindi locale? The infrastructure should all be there already for you.

                        regards, tom lane

Hi
Not actually even in Hindi Locale the output was incorrect..i.e. sort order was wrong
and also length and substring operations
which are not based on syllables.

http://archives.postgresql.org