Marko Karppinen wrote:

I guess the key thing is that pgFoundry shouldn't be a community distinct from the core. The same community standards need to apply on both sides of the fence.
[snip]

Thanks Marko, you just wrote exactly what I was concerned about with "features" rather than "applications" being in pgfoundry.

The only thing I'd add is that we need to separate development from delivery. The important thing as an end-user is not where the CVS is kept or how things are kept in-sync but:
1. Can I get hold of it easily?
2. Is it mentioned in the manual?
3. Do I know what versions of PG/other it needs?

pl/PHP etc might not need to be in the core CVS or tar.gz, but probably do need to be in a pl/ or plugins/ directory on the main site. If it takes a week or two (after release) for the various plugins to appear, that's fine - no-one upgrades a production system on day 1 anyway.

Perhaps this is the best way to look at it - when the .rpm's/.deb's are put together what does the community want in them?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd