Josh Berkus wrote:

People,

So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree? Won't it be popular
enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
core?

Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than PL/pgSQL, as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the interfaces, such as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry. Either we're trying to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now there seems to be no logic in operation.

I do think, though, that we need some system to build RPMs for all the pgFoundry stuff ...

Server-side PLs might have quite different requirements from Client Interfaces. I don't think you can simply extrapolate in this way.

Personally, I hate the idea of having to write stuff like this example Joe Conway gave the other day from PL/R:

#if (CATALOG_VERSION_NO <= 200211021)
#define PG_VERSION_73_COMPAT
#elif (CATALOG_VERSION_NO <= 200310211)
#define PG_VERSION_74_COMPAT
#else
#define PG_VERSION_75_COMPAT
#endif

and all the consequent mess.

Yuck.

Frankly, although I am a relative newcomer around here, I am not convinced that "lightening the core" has been a great success, or can be made to be so. Certainly Peter's comments on the history to date suggest that a re-evaluation might be in order.

cheers

andrew