Josh Berkus wrote:
People,

So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree?  Won't it be popular
enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
core?

Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than PL/pgSQL, as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the interfaces, such as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry. Either we're trying to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now there seems to be no logic in operation.

I do think, though, that we need some system to build RPMs for all the pgFoundry stuff ...

As far as this discussion is concerned I personally think that there is just one way to satisfy everybody.
I we had a "PostgreSQL most wanted" distribution including PL/* as well as some other modules we could save people compiling PostgreSQL from source a lot of work.
The core itself would be cleaner (which is the target of moving things out) and everybody would be happy?
If people think this is a good idea I could compile and maintain this (source) distribution ...

        Best regards,

                Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?