It depends what you measure.
If you measure classBrowser opening then nautilus is slower because it is doing more stuff.
Now we invested a lot in
- cleaning morphic and we will continue. We fixed broken rectangles (around 150 creation), added Margin to avoid ifTrue:
    removed many of the totally useless extensions.
Now we do it step by step because it takes time and we try to understand what we remove!!!

- in Spec, spec is a MVP like system. Now building one takes time and ben did a great job. Now we should check if he will continue or not (it depends on him and his job). We should probably do a pass on Spec.

Alain Plantec is rewriting core morphic from scratch and it is quite fast. He just shows me this after how he can package halos as a separate package. Now the risk is high because Alain does not have the amount of time he would like to work on that.

So if you really want to help
make a benchmark showing the difference between 1.4 and 3.0 on a **concrete** case. Without that we cannot make
progress.

Stef

Today's machines are thousands of times faster than the ones Smalltalk
originally ran on. How much faster is its UI now? I don't think Moore's Law
is going to fix the problem.
It has ups and downs, if you get a Squeak 3.8 image and run it in a
2Ghz computer, the UI will be fast, even Pharo 1.4 had a faster
interface that 3.0. You get a Cuis image and it's super fast.

I find Pharo 3.0 UI to be slower than before, but not slow. It feels
like if Pharo had the mobile browsers 300ms tap delay too
(https://developers.google.com/mobile/articles/fast_buttons?hl=de-DE#touchevents)

As said before, Morphic is slower than MVC too.
I always wondered why more money is put into Morphic, instead of
trying something else (MVC, MVP, MVVM, etc.). Maybe it's cheaper to
fix it than to make it again.

Regards!