Hi Thierry,

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goub...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le 04/10/2014 11:54, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>
>>     And now you are starting to have the issue of handling slices on GT
>>     from Pharo: do people have to register on Moose, resynchronize on GT
>>     on Moose, push their slices there, wait for Moose to push a slice to
>>     integrate on Pharo, wait for Pharo to integrate that slice?
>>

>> Something like that. Only there is no wait time to integrate in Moose as
>> GT is a standalone project, and Moose simply integrates the latest
>> development version of all its dependencies. So, there is not that much
>> difference to integrating in Pharo. Once a new stable version of GT is
>> available, it will automatically be available in Pharo.
>>

> I don't think this is the way to go. It raises an additional barrier to
> contributions to GT, such as:
>
> A - I tried GTPlayground on Pharo, I had a DNU, here is the issue I
> created.
>
> A - I pushed a slice with the corrections
>
> B - In GT development version we decided to go another way. We don't need
> your slice. Please wait for the next stable version and try again. Thank
> you for your contribution.
>
> A ---
>
> I'm not sure you'll get another contribution from A after that exchange ;)

I do not understand your scenario. How is it any different from the Pharo
integration? If the integrator decides it's not a good fix, it does not get
integrated. There will be barely any delay.

>      I found that stepping through the opening sequence of GT to debug
>>     MorphTreeMorph a pain and had to find another way to understand the
>>     issue.
>>
>> Can you be more specific? What did you try to achieve and did not manage?
>>

> I was trying to find out why a MorphTreeMorph would DNU upon GTDebugger
> opening ;)
>
> I gave up and went blindly into the MorphTreeMorph code instead, trying to
> solve it by luck.

Can you be more specific, please? What did you do to get a DNU?

>      I do have specific tools I can use in such circumstances that you
>>     don't have.
>>

>> What kind of tools? I would be interested in learning about them and the
>> analysis use cases they support.
>>

> I have a trace tool for those situations (and also for parser work).

What trace tool? Is an example available?

> My original use case was:
> - Finding the bug in an error correction decoding algorithm which worked
> without error, but with non-satisfying results: lower than expected SNR.
> - Has then been used very successfully to explain the algorithm.
> - Was then used as the basis for a hardware design methodology by dynamic
> code traces of multithreaded programs
>
> Other use cases I use it for:
> - Debugging code in Morphic (rectangles, MorphTreeMorph stuff, text editor
> errors) where halt makes the image unusable.
> - Debugging code in Parsers when the code of a reduction is not working
> properly (somewhere deep in the AST).

Is this more than a logger?

Doru

--