Tudor Girba wrote:
Hi Ben,

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com <mailto:b...@openinworld.com>> wrote:

    Tudor Girba wrote:

        Hi,

        Indeed, you are right about noting that the situation will look
        different in a couple of months from now. Please, let's discuss
        these problems again in 2 months.

    My point was not to delay discussion, but just not let it get you
    down and be tolerant...
    * For those sending criticism, of the system being in flux as in
    progresses.
    * For those receiving criticism, when its comes from those using the
    bleeding edge because of their faith in Pharo
    * For third parties looking on, be confident that it will come
    together for the release.

I am not asking for delaying the discussion about the tools. I am simply saying that the situation will be much different in a couple of months after we have a chance of taking the feedback into account (already quite some changes were made and more are under way, like the menu). As a consequence, we should evaluate the need of having them in parallel with other tools at that time not now.

        The classic tools are still around. Furthermore, in the
        Settings, you have a Glamorous Toolkit category which allows you
        to switch the Inspector and the Playground off.

    How hard would it be to run some parts of GToolkit in parallel with
    existing tools, rather than on/off?  I'd rather it stare me in the
    face without boxing me in - to help me adapt in my own time. I tend
    to forget about things I need to change a setting for.

It's not hard at all, but I believe it would defeat the purpose of the exercise at this point. First, I believe the problems being reported are actually minor and we should not overreact. Bare in mind that people mostly reacted to missing features, and not bugs (except for the messed up positioning of the cursor during completion) which is quite encouraging given the magnitude of the change.

Second, when working on the latest version you want to exercise the new, not the old. The more options you allow to fallback to the old, the less stress will be applied on the new. And especially given that we are a small community, and that only a fraction of us actually works with the latest version, it would be highly unproductive to not focus on the new.

Cheers,
Doru

Okay. That is a reasonable philosophy.
-ben