Damien Cassou-2 wrote
> what I don't like about WYSIWYG word processors is that they hide the
> content. I want to control my content. I want to immediately see if a
> line is a section title (semantically) or if it's just bold and huge. I
> want to immediately see if a section title is automatically numbered or
> if the number was written manually.
>> And actually, the WYSIWYG approach is much closer to HTML 1.0 (in the
>> sense
>> that, users have to indicate *semantic* intentions like emphasis by
>> selecting different fonts, versus something like HTML 4/5, where the
>> actual
>> intention is declared (EMPH tags, QUOTE tags, etc).
> I agree that this is a very important point.

These are very valid critiques of current non-OOP, pink plane approaches,
but in fact there is no inherent conflict between WYSIWYG and e.g. Pillar.
If we start from our intentions, either from the list I started or your own,
it's easy to see how to have it all. Yes, in a rich text editor, one doesn't
know if it's just "bold and big" or a section title. But we are not talking
about jerry rigging a generic editor such as Word to do something for which
it was never intended. We could, as a start, and an easy bridge between the
two POVs, create a Pillar WYSIWYG editor, where the only options are
semantic. So the menu choice/button/whatever would be all domain related, so
when you saw "big and bold", you would be confident that it was just a
visual cue for a section title, which is important because visual thinking
is an important process - and separate from the intellectual processing of
syntax. Making a richer interface does not have to mean giving anything up.

-----
Cheers,
Sean