I'm bumping this, just in case it helps somebody.

I tried to download the latest Pharo Launcher 1.6, and I had the same
issues as the ones stated in this thread (slow download, timeouts, etc.).

But I downloaded it with a download manager [1], and by means of ten
simultaneous connections the download speed was fast enough as to download
the 50 MB in a minute or so.

So I don't know if there is a restriction from the file server or somewhere
in the way out, but you can work around it by means of a Download Manager.

Regards!

[1] FreeDownloadManager.org

Esteban A. Maringolo