On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

Why are you so aggressive against us?

I didn't mean to be aggressive, I just don't think your idea will work well.

we will see.

Now if you want status quo why do you even commit in squeak?

I'm not against changes.

So I did not understand. Probably my english.

I like to keep stuff backwards compatible as long as it doesn't "cost" too much do it. And I like when my old code works with none or minimal changes in newer systems.

Pharo1.0 is not abandoned at all. Since 1.0 we got more than 1000 bugs closed.
The versions are just a way to have milestones. Now there is no problem you
think otherwise

So if I have a Pharo 1.0 image with my code and I don't want to rebuild the
image, then how can I update it to 1.1?

- first I cannot reload code for you.
- second you can simply look at Utilities and find the right invocation to get
the next update
stream.

        Something like that
                Utilities readServer: Utilities serverUrls updatesThrough: nil
saveLocally: true updateImage: true.
                But you should set the version to 1.1.

I'm sure that you can easily find how to do it.

I tried this in a PharoCore 1.0 image:

ScriptLoader currentMajorVersionNumber: 1.1.
SystemVersion current version: 'PharoCore1.1ALPHA'.
Utilities readServerUpdatesThrough: nil saveLocally: false updateImage: true.

But the image freezes (not interruptable by Alt+. (or Cmd+.)).

        Of course in 1.2 this is way nicer
                UpdateStreamer new beVerbose; updateFromServer

Then there are changes like closures that requires a brand new image so you
cannot
bash us if you cannot reload you code in another image.

Um no. We have several images which were updated from Squeak 3.10 to the current Squeak 4.2 trunk.

Levente

Moose people have a lot of packages with a lot of dependencies and code and
they moved from 1.0 to 1.1
without any real problem. Probably a couple of deprecated messages.