El jue, 09-09-2010 a las 16:01 +0200, Levente Uzonyi escribió:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

> >> Isn't Grease dialect dependent by essence ?
> >> If Pharo and Squeak diverge, then there will naturally be two versions
> >> of Grease...
> >> However, for these two messages, I think Pharo core should integrate
> >> them and align with Squeak. The question is more whether you need to
> >> distinguish Grease-Pharo1_1 from Grease-Pharo1_2 ...
> >
> > Probably else this means that Pharo and any system is bound to die because
> > it does not change.
>
> The rapid changes and no-backwards-compatibility you prefer and advocate
> are not essential for a Smalltalk system to "stay alive". Just look at
> VSE, it didn't change in the last 10 years, and people are still using it.
> In constrast Pharo 1.0 was considered abandonware four months after it's
> release, which caused trouble for some users who didn't think that they'll
> have to patch their code and rebuild their images to "get" updates/fixes.

Yes but they paid support to remain backwards compatible. If I paid
support and not get my system running in new versions then I really
would be a fool for paying.
Now Squeak/Pharo comes with no warranties, as the license states. So
don't complain because when migrating to a new version *you* must adapt
your code to the new environment. That is expected and nothing to whine
of. If you want that a system runs unchanged for decades, the use a
environment that doesn't change for decades. And remain there, as the
world lets you behind.

> Levente
>

> > This is why configurations are important.
> >
> > Stef

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx