Don't take me wrong.
I perfectly agree that colors have no meaning.
They had once upon a time on the dorado, but we don't care.

What I say is that there is a level of indirection between physical
button and semantic buttons:
(left, middle, right) -> logical buttons (whatever you call them) ->
semantic buttons (operate, menu, extra)

So either you keep the logical indirection, or you remove it.
If you keep it, the naming is not that obvious and has to be abstract.
So the colours are not a bad choice from this POV.
Call it alpha, beta gamma if you will, but then you are changing
things just for the sake of changing.

If you remove the indirection, then you have to wonder if you don't
loose something, and that was the meaning behind my post.
I don't have the answer to this one, but you have to think of it.

It's a bit boring to explain one's joke, sorry for that ;).

Nicolas