Hi,

> On Jun 4, 2016, at 12:18 PM, Sabine Manaa <manaa.sab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tudor,
>
> thank you for the explanation, which explains the situation.
>
> Speaking only for me: I never used custom debuggers, I always used the
> default debugger in different smalltalk IDEs and so, I am used to a kind of
> "standard”.

That is because they do not exist anywhere else at this point in time :).

> But as your signature points out "Every thing should have the right to be
> different." :-)

Indeed :)

> I can live with the given alternatives (create my now shortcuts and move the
> buttons).

Great. Please note that there is an open issue with externalizing shortcuts
which we did not get to address until Pharo 5, but we will certainly address
for Pharo 6.

> I ask myself, how many people know, need and use specific debuggers.

This is absolutely a legitimate question. I will open another thread to address
it.

But, given that this is a new concept, it is very important for us to get your
opinion on what works and what does not. We think there is value in the concept
of moldability, but we are at the beginning and I am convinced we need more
iteration to strike a better balance between extensibility and usability.

> And in this context, which debugger should be the "default" debugger. Perhaps
> it is an important point for the first impression of new people coming to
> pharo (coming from other smalltalks) and people coming from other languages.
> If you come to a new IDE, I assume it will not be the first step to customize
> the debugger (at least not for me).

Indeed, it will not be the first step. Just like it will not be the first step
to extend the inspector. The main use case is for the framework builders to
ship custom debuggers specific for their frameworks. See more in the other
thread.

> But, again - for me everything is fine as it is. I love working with pharo an
> I was very impressed by several new features of the new version. Eg. the new
> integrated code critics is an insanely great new feature (which is also not
> like this in other smalltalk IDEs!!).

Indeed, this is a useful addition and we need to make more room for this our
tools.

Cheers,
Doru

> Regards
> Sabine

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."